Fulfillment of Dream

I was only 14 years old. Yet, I dreamed of the day when my belly would swell with new life, pregnant with a baby. Perhaps this premature desire was fuelled by the sight of young pregnant women loaded with bangles, smothered with love and attention.[...]

I was only 14 years old. Yet, I had dreamed of having a baby someday. The sight of young pregnant women loaded with bangles, pampered with love and affection fuelled my premature wish. Little did I know then that I would have to wait for so long in pursuit of this dream.

As I blossomed into a young woman, Cupid aimed and I fell in love. Having married my love against all odds, I stayed in Hostel as my in-laws refused to accept me as their daughter-in-law since we were from different communities, Vaishya and Naidu. Even my mother had not consented to our wedding that happened after a long wait of two and a half-years. During this period our love grew from strength to strength, and the marriage did unite our hearts. But legalizing our relationship did nothing to mend fences with the two families. For two years, I lived in a hostel. Every day, his family tried to brainwash my husband into believing that I was a bad choice. Even a boulder could be broken to pieces with constant pressure. He could change his mind, couldn’t it? However, our minds came closer, and the relationship took deep root, growing like the Kalpavriksh tree. Unable to bear the physical separation any longer, I threatened to end my life and said that I would lay full blame on my husband’s family in a letter. Fear won over obstinacy and finally, I got the approval to live in my matrimonial home with my husband. Soon, the unpleasantness forced us to leave the joint family.

We continued to live in the family home, but as a separate unit. We yearned for a child that would somehow help us bridge the chasm that had deepened over the years between our families. Ten years went by with no baby on the horizon. When I sought medical advice, it revealed shocking news about the block in the Fallopian tube. Stoic as I had been, the news literally shattered me. Following a laparoscopy, Doctor advised me to get corrective surgery, I agreed to it though I hesitated to stay in a hospital for a whole month. I underwent surgery in a private nursing home. After the seven-hour procedure, what the doctor told struck me like lightning: “It is doubtful if you could bear a child, all you can do is pray.” I was devastated by the doctor’s casually delivered judgment. I felt like my heart had exploded.

The months rolled past and I went to see the doctor once again. Another laparoscopy revealed the block in both the tubes. I underwent another surgery. After that, every month I went through the IUI procedure for a whole year. In the vegetable or the fish market that I frequented, friendly, well-meaning vendors would chide me for not planning a baby. I avoided going to functions where the questions raised about when I would start a family. At naming ceremonies, some would not allow me to even touch the newborn. I would come home and burst into tears. Would I ever become a mother? Was my wish ever going to get fulfilled?

I hesitated to go in for adoption due to the complications. A friend told me about GG Hospital When I heard that only VIP patients were entertained there, I was crestfallen. When I did get an appointment, the sight of a smiling Dr. Kamala Selvaraj in a pristine pure Bengal cotton sari lifted my hopes. I heard her speak in a divine voice: “Don’t worry, leave it to God. There is a block in the tube, but we can handle it through ET, I’m sure the treatment will click.”


I got an Embryo Transfer (ET) done for the first time in February 2005 – my husband’s sperm and my eggs got fertilized by ICSI in the laboratory. That day is the most memorable day of my life. For that was the day, my 20-year old dream was beginning to take shape. My prayers have been heard. Following implantation, when I learned from Dr. Kamala that I was pregnant, I was literally spellbound and my eyes filled with tears. I wanted to fall at her feet and weep with wild abandon. I regretted not being treated by her earlier. When my pregnancy reached an advanced stage, my husband invited our friends and celebrated our baby shower (Seemantham). During the eighth month, I had a Caesarean section on 21st September 2005, and I could finally hold my boy baby in my arms. God had worked wonders through Dr. Kamala Selvaraj and GG Hospital. It is truly a place of deliverance for those yearning to have a baby of their own.